Mission logo

Mission logo

Monday, August 5, 2013

Taiwan Week 56: I'm In A Furnace

Dear family and friends,
 
I want to start out by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!! I love you so much!
Well, a lot of changes have been made. The biggest one is that I am now in Pingdong. Yeah, I moved! That was fast. They closed down Xihu into just a 2-man. It happens often because it's a less populated area. And we're short missionaries this transfer,so Elder Yeh and I left and Elder Gan became Elder Zhu's senior. Elder Allen called me up on Friday night and let me know. Probably the one time that I didn't want to hear my trainer's voice, haha.
 
Pingdong is the lowest zone on the island and is the HOTTEST place. When it was announced that I was coming down here yesterday in church, the whole congregation gasped. That was comforting. But my new companion is Elder Feigleson! He's super cool. He just got finished being trained. I'm also in another 4-man, but now with the zone leaders! And Elder Bardsley is my zone leader! I missed him. And my other one is Elder Limpanasriphong! Try saying that 5 times fast. He's super cool. His family is from Thailand, but he lived in America and China most of his life. It's a super sweet layout. I'm way excited.
 
But as for last week, I'll give you the big highlights! I don't have a whole lot of time. It was a long train ride down here. Last week we got to do a lot with the He family. Last Monday we had FHE with them. It was a lot of fun. The kids love picking on the dad for not coming to church. Even though they also just barely started coming. They are 10 and 13 though. We had a lot of fun with them. The dad has gained a great liking for me. We met up with the dad on Saturday afternoon and played catch with him. He's on a softball team. I told him how much I missed playing baseball, so we decided to play together. So we played catch. It helped him a lot. We talked about his family and how they love church. He said he had never talked to his son about getting baptized, but he thinks it's a good idea. He knows it's the right path for his family. That was the most intense bro bonding ever. Baseball is the best past time. And it helped him gain a huge trust in us.
 
Yesterday ALL OF THEM came to church! The dad came with his kids. It was amazing. The ward was so happy to see him again. We met with them last night and watched The Restoration video. Then we talked to his son about baptism. After helping him more understand what happens and what it means, he said he wants to! So he has a goal! I'm super excited to hear when he gets baptized. It's super depressing not being able to be there though. But I'll keep in contact.
 
Chen mama's prayers have been getting answers. She said she's been praying really hard that I'll sleep better. She's mad that all I want to do is help her family but don't care that I'm not sleeping well. So she wants to help me and pray for me. And it worked! Each day was better and better. She would call me in the morning and ask how I slept. It was like whenever I went to her house on a rainy day. She'd run down and ask "is it still raining?!" I'd give her the miracle answer of no and she'd be in shock. So her faith in prayer has been strengthened even more. Sadly, she found work that makes her work on Sunday. Super depressing. We're hoping as she talks to her boss, things will work out. It was also extremely sad saying goodbye to them. But they're working together as a family to grow closer in the gospel!
 
We had our Super Hero English Party. It was really amazing. We had an epic dodgeball tournament, and then I had a big duel with Elder Yeh to finish it off. I had the force. It was a lot of fun.
 
Zhu Zhang Qi came from Yuanlin and ate lunch with us on Saturday! I missed him so much. It was so good talking to him. He's helping the Yuanlin Elders out a lot. And his family misses me. Especially his mom. She's so adorable.
 
We had an amazing turnout for church. The He family, Tan Jiemei and her kids, Chen baba, and a lot of other less active members that we've been working with. It was absolutely amazing. Things are looking so great for Xihu. The ward is doing so great. They're strengthening each other.
 
Those were the highlights of the week. It was the most crazy week ever. And so much stuff got done. I can't even describe it. I miss Xihu so much, but I've been called here. And I am really excited to serve here, no matter how hot it gets.
 
I love you all and miss you so much! Have a great week!
 
Love, Elder Anthony Kai Buckwalter

No comments:

Post a Comment