Mission logo

Mission logo

Monday, August 5, 2013

Taiwan Week 54: I Love Chinese People!

Dear friends and family,
 
This week has been a huge week of miracles! I really enjoyed this past week. On Monday night we went looking for a less active family that our bishop said has potential to come back. We searched and searched out in the boonies of the rice fields and grape orchards, but couldn't find his house. The address system here in Xihu is super crazy. As we were about to give up, an 80+ year old lady pointed us in the right direction. We had to go around a line of houses, between two large walls of grape vines, and though an alley to find this hidden line of houses. We got there and the kids let us in. It was an adorable 14 year old girl and her 10 year old brother, with their 14 year old cousin and their grandparents. The girl had been baptized and then the family went less active 2 years later. We got to know them and they really wanted to go to church again, as well as English. As we left, the dad came driving up on his scooter. He was beyond friendly to us. His wife lives in a separate house further away because of work. It's really sad. We got to know him a bit. I had this huge feeling to ask him if he needed our help with anything. He paused and then said "actually, I really do." There was a level of trust that was built right there in those few minutes. It was super amazing.
 
Tuesday we had ZTM in Zhanghua. As we were nearing the McDonald's by the train station, the bus driver stopped and told us to get off. We had never gotten off there before. It would still be another 30 minute walk. And there was a bus stop right by the church. But he made us get off. I was a little bugged. So we walked and all I had for lunch was an ice cream from a 7-11. We made it to ZTM right in time. Some people in the zone asked how our lunch was. I said "the bus driver made us get off at the train station, so all I had time to eat was an ice cream." Then Sister Busath, who came on island with me, said "I thought you were lactose intolerant." I turned to her and said in a very serious voice "He made me get off by the train station." After which everyone started laughing. It was funny. We had a really good ZTM on planning. Planning is so important. I learned a lot from our zone leaders.   
 
Afterwards we had to wait forever for a bus, so our afternoon was wasted. But that night at Chen mama's house, she just jumped next to me and started asking me questions about some talks in the Liahona. She liked them because they talked about other people's conversion story and the step of baptism. She didn't like how hers was taking so long. It was really cool using the scriptures and prayer to help her know how she can prepare herself.
Wednesday we had a mini zone conference in Taizhong. We talked about the key to contacting, English class updates, and making the transition from President Bishop to President Blickenstaff. President Bishop and his wife then sang a song they wrote about Taiwan. It was a really great conference.  That night at English the lesson was on clothes and fashion. So I thought up to have a fashion show. We had a record high of 30 people come! There was 12 in my class, so it was a lot of fun doing the catwalk while students narrated what kind of clothes were being modeled. I took what Elder Gulas had taught me in the past and showed everyone how to do it. Because of it, the young women and young men want me to show them how to do it next week to prepare them for a stake youth activity.
 
Thursday was a pretty good day in Erlin. We found less active dad and his son. They don't have a whole lot of interest anymore. But they welcomed us in, and according to our ward mission leader, that's a miracle.
Friday I got to go to Zhanghua with my zone leader, Elder Bishop. We talked about small and simple miracles to change the day. So we looked for those small miracles. It was really amazing.
 
Saturday there was a steak curry demonstration at the church for the relief society. The other Elders had contacted a lady that is from China that has some EXTREME interest in the church. She lives in our area and also came to the demonstration. She loved it so much. We got to meet her and she's just super prepared.     That night we met again with Chen mama. She said she won't be able to come to church because she has work. But we talked straightforward about baptism. Her and her husband just opened up about their problems. It was so amazing. We now know what we need to help them with. There's just that trust there!
 
Sunday the He kids came that we found on Monday night! So did Chen baba. As well as Tan Jiemei! She's the Chinese lady. She brought her two kids who also love the church. She took it all in and loved it. We sat with her afterwards with a member family. She has no knowledge of Jesus. It reminded me of almost exactly a year ago with Wu fei Jiemei in Nantou. So I started teaching about Christ like we did back then with Wu Jiemei. When I told her that Christ was our Savior, she paused and said "everybody's Savior?" I said yes, and the biggest glow came across her face. It was an amazing lesson. Everyone that met her said she was super prepared to find this church.
 
That was my week. It was awesome! I love you all. I love this work. Always look for the little things. It's the little things that bring to pass the great.
 
Love, Elder Anthony Kai Buckwalter

No comments:

Post a Comment