Mission logo

Mission logo

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Week Nine: I'm leaving on a Jet plane

Dear Family and Friends,
Well for those of you who haven't heard yet, I'm taking off today! In two hours actually... All the Taichung missionaries were supposed to leave on Thursday. During class yesterday we were called to the travel office and they said we were leaving now in 16 hours. What?! Needless to say, we had to cancel the rest of our classes and start doing laundry and pack. None of us were packed at all. It was a crazy night last night. But now we're all packed. We leave at 8:00 this morning and we take off for LAX around 11:00. From there we have a 3 hour layover until we fly straight to Taiwan. We're scheduled to get there tomorrow night at 8:30. And even with the international date line and the time zone changes, that's a long flight! I'm so excited! I can't believe how fast the time has flown already.

Last Tuesday night Elder Christofferson spoke at our Devotional. That's the 5th Apostle since arriving at the MTC. A record maybe? Yeah I think so. It was so cool. He spoke on the relationship of the Godhead and how they are different but support each other entirely. It was really good! He had a different approach to his talk as well. He asked for a lot of missionary feedback and had a few missionaries with microphones running around to those who wanted to read a scripture. It was pretty cool. It was so funny to see the nervousness in a few of them when he asked a follow-up question. I think the one thing that I loved the most about his talk is that it was entirely based out of the scriptures. He would have someone read a passage and then he'd talk about it and expound on it. It really showed the deeper meaning of the scriptures. Through studying, not just reading, you can learn so much.

Also as a surprise this past week, we were informed that we were going to be interviewed by NPR. My class was chosen to be interviewed. So a lady from NPR came and recorded us in our regular learning session. Then she said she wanted to interview a few people. The head of communications at the MTC had previously chosen a few sisters in my district. So they went off to be interviewd. When they came back, the lady said she wanted to interview Elder Plate and I. Gulp! So we went into another classroom and the head of communications at the MTC as well as the head of communications for the Church were there. Yeah you could say I was a little nervous. But once the lady left, he told us all that we did an amazing job. What a cool opportunity!

Friday was in field orientation. A lot of classes to prepare us for the field. And one thing that I really loved was learning to work with the members. Something that was really stressed was "every member a missionary." I absolutely loved that. They said the most baptisms come through member relations. Meaning, when you work with the members, more people feel welcome to come to church and take more discussions. Members friendshipping others is so critical. I challenge everyone to search for a fellowshipping opportunity. Charity is the pure love of Christ. Show more love towards others.

One of the final things I got to do was be a member at the TRC. There wasn't enough volunteers for us, so my district got to be volunteers and fellow missionaries in our zone got to teach us. I don't know how they felt about it, but I absolutely loved being able to see how far we've all progressed since arriving here. The two that taught Elder Plate and I were our zone leaders. They're also flying to Taichung with us. I'm so excited for them to jump into the work as well. We've all prepared well.

Every Sunday we have 4 films that we can choose from and watch. Last week, a bunch of us really wanted to watch Testaments for our last film so we can cry one last time. For those of you who haven't seen it, wait for the ending. It's a tear jerker. So we searched for President Brown and begged him. He said he wish he could, but they're on a schedule. So we kind of lost hope. Then on Saturday when we got the Sunday bulletin, we saw that Testaments was playing! And that's not all, they usually show a film in two different languages and he got them to show it in mandarin! So almost all of us from our Branch were there watching it in mandarin. That was an eye opener for me. But it was still so cool that I could understand a lot of it. And yes, even in mandarin, still a tear jerker. Like all the Elders. So great.

Well I need to be getting off and finalizing my packing. I love you all! Pray for me. Don't forget to write. If you need my Taiwan address, my parents have it. Here I go, out to preach the true gospel of Christ. Inviting others to come unto Him. What a blessing this is to serve. The Lord loves each and every one of us!

 
Love, Elder Anthony Buckwalter

No comments:

Post a Comment