Mission logo

Mission logo

Monday, May 21, 2012

First Week In Taiwan: Time to dive in and go

Dear Friends and Family,

Well, I finally made it! I can't believe it. This place is so cool. To start off, it is so humid here. I feel like a frog. It's so intense. I love it though! The air is very thick with moisture. It's like taking a drink with every breath. My clothes are pretty soggy most of the time. Also, the plane flights were very nice. Both of them were reasonably on time and we were able to transition really well. I didn't realize how long that flight from LAX to Taipei was, until I looked at the clock and found out that it had only been 8 hours and I still had so many to go. What a long flight. But it was a very nice flight. The plane was huge! I've never had such a smooth flight. We landed around 9:00 local time and met up with our Mission President. President Bishop is so cool! We had a 2 hour drive to the mission home from the airport, so we got to know him and his wife a bit; as well as the assistants. He gave us a brief of what is expected on the mission. I'll be honest, I had never been so scared in my life. There is so much to do! We didn't get in to our apartment until after 12:30. We stayed with the zone leaders in Taichung. By the way, it's actually Taizhong. It drives me crazy to call it Taichung now.

We were awakened really fast with a hardcore run through the city to a stadium to run some more. It was so hard to keep up with the zone leaders. In the end, we had run about 2.5 miles by 7:00 am. I'm glad I'm used to getting up early now. We ate breakfast at the mission home and President Bishop gave us some more training. He is so smart and knowledgeable. And he's super nice. We had training most of the day. We also got to go to a hot pot for lunch. I love those so much. And dinner we went to one of those places with a huge spinning table on a bigger table. (I have no idea how to describe it). I'm definitely going to have to get used to fish here. We were surprised with something afterwards. Dan Jones night. We all got to go this night market and stand on a box just like Dan Jones and preach the gospel. We just did our testimonies, then a missionary would take us individually and do street contacting. It was intense. It was pouring rain and we just went around and looked for referrals and people interested in the gospel. I enjoyed it quite a lot, even though I couldn't understand much!

The next morning was pretty much the same routine. Then we went into the church and were greeted by all the trainers. One of them welcomed us and sat with us. But we didn't know if they were our trainer or not. After a few more lessons by the assistants and the mission president and his wife, we watched a pretty intense inspirational video that got me so pumped. I was still scared out of my mind though. Finally it was time to find out who our trainer is. We did it in a traditional Chinese way with the red envelopes. I was first. I opened it up and read "Elder Allen, Nantou." So crazy! I honestly can't explain the huge amount of comfort I felt as I saw him come up to greet me. I could really feel the spirit's comfort that he will be an amazing trainer for me. It feels so great. So we all went out to eat one last time, grabbed our stuff, and headed off to our respective areas.

Nantou is more in the center of the island. It's not as populated and is so beautiful! We had an hour bus ride here, so we were able to get to know each other a bit. He's actually from Alpine, Utah. And he graduated the same year I did. Pretty cool if you ask me! We share an apartment with the zone leaders for our area, which is pretty rare. Most companionships live by themselves. Another rare thing is we have 6 missionaries in our ward. Us, the zone leaders, and a companionship of sisters. I love it!

We went out and did some street contacting almost right as we got back. That's jumping in. I couldn't understand a thing. We were able to go to a few houses and talk to some families. By the end of the night, I was completely terrified that I wasn't going to learn the language.

I'm so glad for planning and goals. If it wasn't for those, everything would be so much harder. We'd be all over the place. We had some meetings on Saturday and I was able to meet the ward mission leader. Really nice guy. Everyone here is so nice! Then we did some tracting. I can't wait to be able to talk to people more. The people we got to talk to were really hospitable.

I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to have two baptisms in my ward on my second day! A 14 year old boy and an 8 year old girl whose family are already members. All the missionaries planned to sing a special musical number at the baptism, so we met a few minutes early to go over it. Oh by the way, our zone leaders names are Elder Petters and Elder Gulas. Elder Petters' time is up and he is going home today. Elder Petters was going to be doing the baptizing, when he suddenly walked in and said, "ELDER BUCKWALTER, WOULD YOU LIKE TO BAPTIZE TONIGHT?" Total shock came over me. This is his last chance to baptize and he gave it to me as a welcoming experience. He has such a soft soul. Such a nice guy. But then it sat in that I had to memorize the baptizmal prayer in chinese! So it's 5 minutes before the service starts and I'm scrambling to put on Elder Petters' clothes while trying to memorize the prayer. And as far as everyone has said, I did a very good job. The two kids are so lucky to be baptized into this true church. What an experience! I asked the boy how he felt afterwards and he said great! So great.

There was a ward fireside immediately afterwards. So I was able to meet a lot of the ward. I absolutely love this ward! Everyone is so nice (and patient with my chinese). They're all so willing to work with us to help us teach investigators. I also love the spirit felt around them. It's so strong and loving.

Sunday we had church in the morning. It was so nice. I'm really starting to more experience the blessings and spiritual blessings of church. I can't understand much of what everyone is saying, but the spirit speaks every language and I could feel it. We call Sunday "game day" because getting investigators to church is a huge step for their conversion process. It's such a blessing to go to church.

All of us missionaries had dinner at a recent converts house last night and we brought one of our investigators. He's very curious about the Holy Ghost. It was so much fun. We also met with an investigating family at the end of the night. They're so golden. I can't wait to see them progress more.

Today we said our goodbyes to Elder Petters and he left. Today is more for getting me settled in and ready to get into the daily schedule. I love my bike! We're about to go buy accessories for it.

Ok so now here's the info for everyone back home. No matter where I'm transfered to, my mailing address stays the same. It goes to the mission office first. So always use that address. Also, use the US postal service. They don't accept Fedex here. Very crutial. And it shouldn't cost that much when you use the flat rate boxes. And this time is about when we'll be doing emails every Monday. Just a heads up.

I absolutely love it here. It's so much fun. Still a lot of hard work trying to learn and learn how to teach. But it's so much fun as well. I can't wait for this coming week. We have some great lessons coming up. I'm so excited. I'm sorry for how long this is! I just had so much to say for my first week. I'll try better next week. I love you all! Please continue to write me. Every missionary loves mail. I can't wait to hear back from all of you! Remember, the Lord loves each and every one of us. This is His true gospel.

Love, Elder Anthony Buckwalter
Here are some pictures. They are not in order. Some are just before he left the MTC and some are his first week in Taiwan










No comments:

Post a Comment