Mission logo

Mission logo

Monday, November 19, 2012

Taiwan Week 27: It's Getting Chilly

Dear friends and family,

Well I just ate as much steak and pork as my body could handle for an American equivalent of 12 dollars. That's amazing! And we get to make it ourselves. We pretty much had a big missionary lunch today with half our zone and half of the Zhanghua zone. It was a lot of fun. I'm so full! We also bought district scarves because it's getting pretty cold now.

Last week I got to go on a lot of exchanges. Tuesday I got to exchange with Elder Fiala, my district leader. It was really great. I got to meet a few of their investigators and less actives. It was interesting that most of them are really trying to overcome a Word of Wisdom problem. I enjoyed getting to help them find faith and courage to overcome what they need to overcome. Their area has a lot more people than mine. We're in the same city. It's just split, so we have most of the houses and they have a lot of businesses. I had a lot of fun though and learned a lot.

Wednesday night we switched back and taught our English class. For some weird reason our class only had women in it. Where did all the men go? They had a lot of really interesting questions though. I taught them tongue twisters because that would really help them with pronunciation differences. They got really good. We also got to watch the movie on President Monson's life and calling as the prophet because the sisters have a really progressing investigator in our class and wanted us to watch it. I love that movie.

Thursday was really great! We struggled on lessons, but our big lesson was that night with Zhu dixiong. We taught the law of chastity and had the bishop peike. He did a really great job talking about the importance of chastity and explained the benefits as a family. It was great because his really cute 3 year old son was playing during the lesson and served as a great example! Zhu dixiong had his baptismal interview right after and passed! He's getting baptized this Saturday! I'm so excited!

Friday we had such an amazing Mission Tour Conference. Elder Larry Wilson, of the Seventy, came to speak to us. His wife did a lot of focusing on teaching about the Book of Mormon with understanding. It was really great to learn better ways to help investigators better understand the scriptures. Elder Wilson talked about Preach My Gospel and finding the diamonds hidden inside to better missionary work. He emphasized on a part about staying in contact with our recent converts after we leave the area and when we go home. He shared a few really amazing stories that occurred in these past few years that came from a result of some of the people he baptized on his mission. It was really great. It came in handy during the conference for me as well! While we were eating lunch, Song dixiong in Nantou called Elder Nickel to cancel their appointment that night, and I got to talk to him for a few minutes! He was so excited to hear my voice. I got to ask him how him and his wife are. (If you don't remember, she's the pregnant lady that we taught and baptized. Who is actually no longer pregnant, but now has an adorable 2 month old baby!). They're all doing really well.

After the conference, I got to go on exchanges with Elder Bennett, my zone leader, back to my old area! Well half of it. The area has changed a bit since I was there, so half of my old area is in the Zone leaders area now. It was really great. I got to visit a lot of investigators that I met on exchanges back when I lived there. I also got to visit the recent convert of theirs that I got to baptize my 3rd day on island. He remembered me and we had a great reunion. The zone leaders are actually working with his siblings to get them to be baptized as well. They like coming to church, there's just a little parental opposition at the moment. It was a lot of fun getting to work with the zone leader's investigators. I remember all of them really well from before. I also got to spend the night in my old apartment! I was buzzing with memories. It's funny because That was my old area, and my area now is Elder Bennett's old area. So we were updating each other a lot on our areas, former investigators, and recent converts. It was really great. I also got to attend their ward correlation meeting on Saturday. All those who attended remembered me. Their ward is doing really great with investigators right now!

The rest of Saturday and all of Sunday was really cold and rainy. I was so cold. By night time yesterday, I was fearing I was getting sick. But it went away with sleep. Last night we also had a combined yuanling 1st and 2nd ward FHE. The other Elders did the spiritual share. It was the push-ups for candy... haha! Elder Hanset did the push-ups. He's on his 2nd move call of being trained. It still is a great lesson that impacts all those who watch. The whole meeting was great and a great way to establish relations with the ward. 

And you already heard about today. It was a great week! I didn't really do much in my own area last week. I was exchanging too much! But our area is doing really great though. I miss you all! Thank you for all the great letters and encouragement. This week is Thanksgiving. I'm so thankful for family. I love my family so much. I love how much the gospel blesses my family. I didn't know just how much until I got out here. Now I'm so blessed to see this gospel bless other families. Families can be together forever!

 

Love, Elder Anthony Buckwalter 


No comments:

Post a Comment