Mission logo

Mission logo

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Taiwan Week 6: What a short week!

Dear family and friends,

It's weird writing another email after only 5 days. But I feel like a lot has happened. First, the typhoon never really came. There was a good 2 hour burst of rain that beats out Utah's annual precipitation. But that happens a lot here. And there was wind later that night (Wednesday night), but that was pretty much it. And it felt so good that night riding home from English class. It was nice and cool. The annoying thing about that night was because of the typhoon, everyone stayed home and didn't come to English. Even though it didn't look bad outside at all. So instead of the usual 45ish people that usually come, we had 5. 3 of them are in the advanced class. It was pretty sad. So we all just chilled and talked with them. Which helps them a lot as well. And one of them is one of our progressing investigators and we got to meet with him afterwards. We taught the Plan of Salvation and it answered a lot of questions. We just need to get him to church!

That night starting at 9:00 I got to go on a Zone Leader exchange with Elder Muhlestein. And since we all live in the same apartment, me and Elder Gulas switched rooms. It was pretty fun. But the exchange was really fun. And so far, all my exchanges have had something fail pretty hard. My first involved getting on the wrong train with my district leader. The second was extremely flooded out with a fellow missionary being trained. And now my third with my zone leader and all of the confirmed appointments fell through as we got to each of them. So we did a lot of searching and resulting to back up plans. Thank goodness for back up plans! It was really fun though. Elder Muhlestein is a really positive missionary. And EXTREMELY smart. He's a Harvard man. He can solve a rubics cube in 15 seconds. 17 seconds if he goes by the official Rubik's cube rules. It's pretty cool to watch. But anyway, he's extremely friendly with everyone he comes in contact with and has a positive attitude about everything. I learned a lot in that exchange.

Friday almost felt like we got no missionarying done. We had our regular studies and weekly planning as usual. Then all the missionaries that came out in my group had a meeting in Taizhong at 3:00. So we headed straight there afterwards and were there until 7:00. It was really cool seeing all my MTC friends again though! They're all doing really great. And the meeting was just to see how we all were doing and gave our input of how we think the first 5 weeks have been and what we think needs to be changed about the training. But then that night at 7:15 we had an investigator meeting and we watched The Restoration. He's struggling with Joseph Smith and Prophets. So hopefully that'll help him a bit more.

Elder Taylor is the trainer in Puli with Elder Chan and he was on exchanges with Elder Gulas that night. So he was in our apartment that night and he's really cool. He's from Bountiful and he's in the movie "Unitards." I really wanted to see that movie! Oh, and Elder Allen is in "Unicorn City." What are the odds of that? Also wanted to see that. I love it.

Saturday was pretty good working with the ward council on missionary efforts and how they can help. We always get a lot of volunteers to help. I love this ward! We also had a chance to do service for a recent convert. Finally! I love doing service activites. Also that night we had our investigating family and the wife of our recent convert have their baptismal interviews! They all passed and are planning for this Saturday! I'm so excited! Two completed families baptized into this church. I'm so happy for them. I got to hear the wife of the recent convert talk about how her look at life has changed since meeting with us, and how much it has blessed her life. It was so great. It was really great to see all of them at church as well the next day. They're really loving the ward. I love when everything starts to fall into place.

And today we went to this place called xitou. It is seriously the most intense outdoors beautiful place ever. I'm so in shock. It was beautiful. Way high up in the mountain. We got to hike around and everything. It was so great. That's Taiwan for you!

Well I love you all! I can't wait to hear back from you next week. Please continue to write. I miss you all!

Love, Elder Buckwalter

No comments:

Post a Comment