Mission logo

Mission logo

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Taiwan Week 42: The Most Crazy Transfer Ever

Dear friends and family,

So many changes have been made this past week. Somehow mysteriously, both Elder Bardsley and Elder Hanset were moved out of their area and two new missionaries have moved in. That has never happened before. Their area is really growing, and now it's in the hands of two new, but really sweet, missionaries, Elder Taylor and Elder Vandiford. Elder Taylor was training in Nantou zone in Puli when I got on island so I've known him since I got island. And Elder Vandiford was just in our neighboring zone of Zhanghua and is now on his 4th transfer. It was pretty rough watching half our district leave, but I'm also really excited for this new transfer.

Last week we had our Zone Training Meeting in Nantou. We talked about working with the ward. That is something we really love and need to do, and I guess the rest of the zone is wanting too. So we had some really great training on effective ways to work with members sitting with investigators at church. Then we also had a member come from Taizhong and talk about a really effective way to use the ward list. I was so happy to see that it's pretty similar to the way I've been using it! We then had a sweet lesson at McDonald's! He was a sweet referral contacted that has met with missionaries for a while. We're not sure how much interest in baptism he has, but we can keep working with him! We also had a sweet lesson with Jack later that night. He has such a desire to get baptized. We talked about the gospel of Jesus Christ and he was feeling the truth of it so much. I'm really excited for him.

Wednesday was all over the place. We were struggling because our lessons were rescheduling so much. And then it all came down to our English party. We weren't prepared. Our class has been slowly decreasing the past few weeks with a low of 8 because of various holidays and stuff. So we didn't think many people were going to show up. Then out of nowhere, we had 33 people come, 11 new, mostly families. It was so cool. They all had a good time and want to come back! I'm so excited. We're hoping to increase that to 40 this week!

Thursday we had a sweet EARTHQUAKE during weekly planning! Our building was swaying a lot with a bit of rumbling as well. It was pretty fun. I think it was Elder Lathen's first EARTHQUAKE. And I guess it was pretty big since it was even felt at the very south point of the island too. That's pretty cool. I love them so much.   We then had a split where I sat with a less active and Elder Lathen and a member, Huang Yi Wei, sat with a new investigator. He has a lot of desire as well. He has a lot of questions that I feel like I've never had to answer before. So I'm so glad we had a peike there.

Friday we had a sudden exchange with the zone leaders. They were passing off Elder Fiso on Phase 1 in Nantou and they heard Elder Lathen hadn't fully passed it off yet. And they wanted to see how ok Elder Lathen would be leading in our area in the chance that I move. So they put together an exchange. I went to Caotun with Elder Larson. While Elder Larson was passing off Elder Fiso, I was with Elder Nickell in a room making a ton of calls to get new investigators. Then they had a less active come for a lesson and I remembered him from when I was serving there! So it was pretty cool to visit with him. I then took Elder Larson to a less active that he didn't know about in their area that I had visited before when I was there. It was really cool to see him and his wife again. Elder Larson felt a good connection with them as well and really want to work with them some more. The whole night was really great and full family adding miracles! Even one that stopped investigating with the zone leaders while I was there because of scheduling problems. But they now have time and were really happy to set up again! And Elder Larson and I found out that we have probably 50+ mutual friends because he lives right by the Riverwoods! Super Crazy!

Saturday we traveled out to find some formers and ended up meeting with their aunt and uncle. They have interest too! So many families all of a sudden! We exchanged back and had a few great lessons with some investigators, one of them being the new one from a few days before. The bishop peike'd and ended up sharing everything that this guy needed. I was in shock. My companion was in shock. Our investigator was in shock. It was shocking. The Spirit was so strong in that lesson. In the end, our bishop kind of plainly said "you need to get baptized." And our investigator pretty convinced was like "ok". Mind blowing.

Sunday was pretty nice and all over the place. During Sacrament meeting, a sister I had never seen before gave me a note saying she's a member in Taibei and she needed my help in the hallway with her brother that isn't a member yet. So I grabbed Huang Yi Wei and we went downstairs and met him. His health hasn't been well lately and they told him about Priesthood blessings. So he wanted a blessing. We gave him one and he said it was absolutely amazing. It was such a great experience. I hope we get to meet him again.    That night we had FHE and everyone said their goodbyes to Elders Hanset and Bardsley.

Today we were helping them get all their stuff ready to go and they gave all their stuff to us. A lot of exhanging companions was done at the train station, and now we're here! Every single companionship changed in the zone except for ours. This transfer is one of the biggest in a long time because so many missionaries are coming on, but hardly anyone is leaving. So there has been a lot of moving around to get ready to train. This transfer is only 3 weeks long. In 3 weeks, 24 new missionaries are coming on. And then another semi large group comes again 6 weeks after that. There will be a lot of people training. It'll be exciting to see what's going to happen in the next month!

This is going to be my 4th transfer here in Yuanlin. It'll technically only be 3.5 because this one is short. But I'm excited!  I love you all! I feel like this email is so long. This week has been so epic, I can't capture it in this email. And the next 3 weeks are so jam packed with stuff. If you have any questions, write me a letter! Until next week!

 

Love, Elder Anthony Kai Buckwalter

No comments:

Post a Comment