Mission logo

Mission logo

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Taiwan Week 17: Nothing like a sunburn where the collar rubs against your skin

Dear family and friends,

First I'd like to start out by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!! I really don't remember the dates at all anymore, unless something important is going on with one of our investigators. We were talking to a member yesterday and we set something up for next Monday. He said the wrong date and I was like "no it would be the 17th because tomor OH MY GOSH it's my dad's birthday!" So I'm glad I remembered! Time just flies out here... Anyway. Hope you have a great relaxing day dad!

Another great week here in Tainan! We dedicated a lot of time to contacting to get new investigators. And we did a pretty good job! We started out by making a goal to not eat rice or noodles at all that week. It's not an easy goal. So we had a lot of McDonalds. Also not a good thing. Tuesday we had a great combined zone training meeting. Each of the district leaders taught a small principle on contacting and we did some practicing. It was a lot of fun. We also have a new zone leader because Elder Wang was called to the office to be the new operations manager, and he has training for the last 3 weeks of the move call. So we had a mini move call and Elder Crandall came down here! He's really cool. He just came from Yuanlin, where he lived for 3 weeks. That was in my last zone, so I was glad to hear some news about what's going on up there.

That night we met with Kevin. He's all ready for baptism! We went through the interview questions with him and he's excited. We set up the interview for Sunday morning before church.

Wednesday was a really hot day and we had no energy whatsoever, and hardly anyone was outside to talk to. It was hard. But it ended really nice with English class. It's really funny now that they've started to talk more. They want to learn how to speak "American." Not just English. So I gotta prepare for that now.

Thursday was a miracle day. We had contacted a guy, David, on the street the week before and set up for Thursday. And he actually came. I was so happy. He speaks fluent English, so it was pretty weird teaching in English. We both could do it and explain things a lot better than when in Chinese, but it just sounded weird saying all the church terms in English. That'll be hard to adjust to when I come home... But David is really good! He asks a ton of questions and clarifies everything once we teach him. So he left really excited to read the Book of Mormon and learn more.

Friday we got to go on zone leader exchanges! I got to stay in my area and Elder Crandall came with me. I felt kinda bad because all I had planned was straight up contacting in a bunch of different areas. But he said that's all they're doing in their area too to boost up their teaching pool. And I made it better by taking him to get Dr. Pepper and Subway. I LOVE Dr. Pepper and Subway! It was a good day and we got some great adds.

Saturday was "clean up the world" day. So all the missionaries in our zone got to come over to this big park in our area by the ocean and help clean up the area. There was a ton of people there. Like 500 maybe. Just a bunch of Tainan people coming together to clean the world! It was so much fun! But since we were just in our regular clothes in the sun for a few hours, we all got some pretty intense sunburns where our collars usually are. I can't turn my head without a lot of pain to follow. That evening we got to meet with a guy that I added over a week ago during Assistant exchanges. He's really cool and wants to know all about the church. Him and his wife got married last year and she's pregnant with their first child. How do I keep running into this same circumstance? And she's from China, which is where she is now visiting her family. So I'm really excited to teach this family! He loves the story of Joseph Smith and loves hearing about God's authority. He's really excited to learn more and flat out brought out his own planner and planned in church next week.

Sunday was a little rough. Kevin was sick and called and said he couldn't make it. So the baptism is pushed back a little bit, but he's still really dedicated.

This morning we biked over to the beach and had some fun standing in the water. I love the beach. And then we headed over to a morning market and finally found some passion fruits. By far my favorite fruit! I missed it so much. And that's my whole week! It's been a lot of fun. We've got some really sweet new investigators and one that's right about to be baptized!

I love you all so much! Please continue to write and send pictures and whatnot. Thank you all so much for the love and support!

 
Love, Elder Anthony Buckwalter

Elder Hoopes with what he bought last week
 
 Cleaning between some raft things on the beach
 
 How we relax on preperation day
 
 Typhoon from our balcony
 
 At the beach

 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment