Mission logo

Mission logo

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Week!

Dear friends and family,
Wow the weeks are going by fast! I can't believe my stay in the MTC is already half over. Kinda. Looking back, a lot has happened. But still not a ton. It's so weird. Chinese is finally sticking in my brain. My flashcards are now up to 400. I can't believe people can learn this language so fast! We're definitely being helped by the spirit. I love it here!

For all you Buckwalters out there, I have a new name for us. Well for me. "The Swishbuckler!" Cheesy, I know. But I guess I've developed a talent for basketball since arriving here. We started up speed, or as they call it knockout, and I swish all my shots. It's pretty intense. One of the elders in my zone, Elder Barron, and I go head to head on that game. It's so fun! I also love using my running shoes! Thanks mom and dad! My legs are jello after every gym time. They told us that the field will probably open up next week, so I'm way excited to go out there and play around.

I absolutely love getting packages. But sadly, my love of sweets has died. So much sugar. I can't eat any more candy. Mom, that Easter package that you sent is probably going to be the one that sends me into a coma. Even though I love that caramel bunny. Ooh caramel... Speaking of Easter, Easter here was so amazing! We had a combined sacrament meeting with the entire MTC. We heard that someone high up was coming to speak to us, so we got our seats an hour and a half in advance. It was president Packer! That was so cool. I've never been a part of such a big sacrament. He spoke on the Atonement and missionary work. One thing that stood out to me was "fear is the opposite of faith". Always have faith in the Lord, and do not fear. That just reminds me of my missionary scripture D&C 68:6. That helps me so much. We also got to hold our first testimony meeting as a branch since arriving here. There are now only 20 missionaries in my branch. The last of the older generation left early this morning for New York. I thought it to be a huge blessing to hear him bear his testimony one last time before leaving the MTC. Some of the things he said I couldn't understand, but I could definitely feel the spirit and knew he knew it to be true.

There has been a "mass pandemic" of the flu here. I think it's so funny how crazy they are about it. I think maybe 5 people have it. I thought I was catching it as well and went to the clinic yesterday to check. They ruled out the flu and thought maybe strep. But that was negative. So they think I just have a bad virus that's making me cough like a mad man. It hurts. And I sound like a Tuscan Raider.

This morning we went to the temple and did inititories. I love going to the temple so early in the morning. What a way to start the day! And since we love the breakfast there and the cafeteria doesn't open until 8, we just keep doing work until it's time. I think that makes our food taste even better, you know? One of the workers asked me if I know a Morris Buckwalter. Then I saw Eric Sacket and Brother Hansen! And THEN another worker said he grew up with grandma Buckwalter. What are the odds? I didn't catch either of the worker's names, but once again, everywhere I go: connections.

Elder Terry (in my district) and I love to sing. Between us and the sisters, we cover all the parts when we sing hymns. So the head of the music committee asked us if him and I would sing a duet in Sacrament meeting. How cool is that?! I never thought I'd be the one to do that. But here, I'm just loving it. Never turn down an opportunity to bear your testimony.

We also got to teach at the TRC for the first time last week. It was pretty intense! I loved it though. It was a little weird since I knew one of the volunteers. But Elder Plate and I teach so well together and we could feel the spirit during the lessons. Also, we've challenged both of our investigators to be baptized and have a date set for one! Woo! You can really see their development of faith in Jesus Christ. And that's what we're trying to do.

Well I love you all! Keep writing me and keeping me updated on your lives. I try to get some more personal written letters sent out each week, but I only have so much time on my P-Days. The church is true. I know that with all my heart.

 
Love, Elder Anthony Buckwalter

No comments:

Post a Comment